Julie's Green Venetian

Yes, this dress was just for practice, but I thought it deserved a little space of its own.

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Roped Petticoat

With my pink petticoat shell assembled, I trekked out during the beginning of today's snowstorm in search of cotton cord. My previous choice, a sisal rope, was a bit too thick after washing, plus I was worried it was the wrong material and besides, it kinda smelled funny. Cotton cord sounded like a good choice. The problem is that my deficient Jo-anns carries nothing of the sort (at least that I could find). Neither did Home Depot. So I decided to check out the camping section of Walmart for ropes. No luck. But as I happened by the hampers and clotheshangers, I thought....clotheslines...And behold, 100 ft of 3/16 inch cotton clothesline for under 3 bucks. Yay! So I got home and got to washing it for the preshrink, and unlike my previous rope it stayed just the right size....

Cord washed and dried, I decided to incorporate some rope right into the hem of the skirt (hemming and cording all in one? sounds like less work, and I'm a fan of that!). I decided to go with a wide hem, and I sewed 4 lines of the cord right into the hemline. I think it looks kinda space age-y, but cute, and it does add that extra stiffness that I think the bottom should have.

After the hem was complete, I started in on making the ribbon channels of cording to spiral up the skirt. I made the front of the skirt have evenly spaced ribbons going straight across, and did the spiraling-up-to-a-new-level on the back half of the skirt. This is so that the crookedness is not visible from the front. Why you ask? Well, I figured the skirt is pink, the ribbon is mauve, and the whole combo is kinda cute. So if its a nasty hot day I can cut out the decorative underskirt and just expose my underwear. Petticoat=less formal underskirt for hot days (if it comes out nice enough). Aren't I just clever? ;-)
In the ribbon channels, I decided to do two cords instead of just one cuz it fit nice and snug and the single cord was a bit roomy. Also, extra stiffness with 2.


assembly--bottom 4 channels in hem and double rope in the ribbon channels.

Here's the "finished" product. I may go further up with the channels, but for now I'm outta rope. I can't decide whether to add more or not. Thoughts?

complete? ( still need to make the waistband, even if i don't add more channels)

And I wanted to test its effectiveness, so here's a sidebyside of with and without the petticoat for one of my old skirts. Its somewhat subtle, But it does make a discernable difference:


without Posted by Hello

with petticoat Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home